Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Looking for a resource during lockdown?
Study Collection / Reserved Collection
The Study Collection is also referred to as Reserved Collection. Books in high demand (prescribed and recommended textbooks) are located in this collection.
| Policy for the use of material in the Study Collection
- Only two items, for a period of two hours will be issued per student, from the Reserved Collection.
- Study collection books cannot be renewed.
- Books can be issued overnight, but only two hours before the library closes. These books must be returned the following morning when the library opens at 07:30am.
- A fine of R5-00 per item per hour or part thereof will be imposed if the loan period is exceeded.
- If the library is closed, a book return box is available to the right of the main entrance.
- Service to students with outstanding fines will be suspended.
- Students are held responsible for books issued to them and any costs for replacing lost or damaged books will be for the student’s account.
- A receipt is issued as validation of return.
| SRC collection in the Study Collection
Books with SRC in front of the call number are located in the Study Collection and can be borrowed for up to one month. Books in this collection cannot be renewed. These books are kindly donated by the Student Representative Council.
Need to renew your books ?
To renew books electronically from anywhere, please follow the steps outlined below:
Go to the library homepage: www.library.up.ac.za.
On the right under My Library Space, select Renew library items
Type in your student number (with a prefix letter “u”) and your Portal password.
Your library record will appear.
You can see which books you have out on loan.
Renew items due to expire.
You are allowed to renew your books a maximum of six times (provided there is no hold on an item).