Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Open Access Funds at UP
Article Processing Charges
An increasing number of open access journals are supported through Article Processing Charges (APC's) also known as publication fees. The Department of Library Services (DLS) offers and administers Open Access (OA) funds to subsidize Article Processing Charges (APC'). The fund will only pay for articles published in accredited and peer-reviewed Open Access Journals.
The UP Open Access Policy gives clear guidance on purpose and procedures for all staff and students. Authors who wish to apply should first review the:
This enables UP authors to take the advantage of a range of benefits when publishing in Open Access Journals.
To benefit from Article Processing Charges fund
Proceed to the steps in applying and claiming from APC funds
Steps to follow
Steps to follow when applying and claiming from APC funds
- Author sends the manuscript to the publisher
- Publisher accepts the manuscript
- Publisher sends the invoice to the author to pay APCs
- Author pays full amount to the publisher from their funds from the department/faculty cost centre
- Author receives proof of payment from the publisher
- Then the article gets published and become available online
- Author requests a detailed transactional cost centre report from the faculty admin person or from the Department of Finance at UP
- Author sends (by email) the following:
- The detailed transactional cost centre report - make sure the amount paid to the publisher is reflected in this cost centre report.
- The published version of the article
- Proof of payment
- Complete the APC application form. The applicant and the Dean should sign the form
- Check details in the APC application form and make sure details of the article match with the published version of the article
- Make sure the amount paid to the publisher is the exact amount in the APC application form
- Attach and send the above to firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Access Accredited Journals Without Article Processing Charges
Click feed above for more titles and options to filter by subject or A-Z list