Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Information for other Libraries regarding Interlending
A1: Where are the Interlending offices located?
University of Pretoria, Main Campus
Department of Library Services:
Main Counter, Level 3
Tel: +27 12 420 3229
Fax: +27 12 362 5314
A2: Material available for Interlending
- Photocopies of journal articles, conference papers and chapters of books
- Books may be requested by South African libraries (we do not lend books to international libraries)
- UP Masters and Doctoral theses in book format and URL address. The URL of theses will be supplied free of charge to requesting libraries, both national & International
- We do not lend audio-visual material to requesting libraries.
A3: Document Delivery Method
- Mail and courier delivery will be acceptable in cases where the requesting or supplying library does not have the necessary facilities to receive or transmit articles electronically.
- Books will be sent by courier, mail or can be collected by requesting library
- Faxes will only be sent on request. Additional payment will be charged
A4: Loan & Renewal Periods
- The loan period of a book is 6 weeks and renewal for another 6 weeks is possible. The maximum loan period is 3 months.
- Requesting libraries will be blacklisted if they do not respond to recall notices or invoices.
A5: Damaged or Lost Material
- The requesting library is responsible for the replacement of a lost or damaged book. An invoice with actual price of the book plus R300 admin fee will be issued or the library can replace the lost book with the same title and edition plus R100 admin fee.
- Unless libraries have a reciprocal free of charge agreement, fees as determined by the National Library of South Africa, will be charged for ILL documents.
- Photocopies exceeding the normal standard will be charged for, according to the National Library of South Africa price structure.
- The tariffs for documents to be sent by fax, as determined by the NLSA, will be applicable unless libraries have a reciprocal agreement.
- National coupons are acceptable for payment by non-online libraries.
- The rate for journal articles or book chapters for International requesters is $15.00. Cheques in rand currency, IFLA vouchers and IFM are accepted. Cheques are to be made payable to the University of Pretoria.
Copyright © Department of Library Services 2021. All rights reserved.