Q1 Who may use Interlibrary loan services?
Q2 How do I submit requests?
Q3 How long do I keep the books and what are the fines on overdue books?
Q4 How do I renew books? Q9 How do I know if the book or article has arrived?
Q5 What material can be requested at Interlending?
Q6 How long does it take to obtain material?
Q7 Will I have to pay for documents requested via Interlending?
Q8 What happens if I lose an interlibrary loan book?
Q9 How do I know if the book or article has arrived?
A1: Who may use the Interlibrary loan services?
Please verify with the borrowing privileges for all users.
A2: How do I submit requests?
"Step-by-Step" procedure for more information
A3: How long do I keep the books and what are the fines on overdue books?
See the UP Access and Lending borrowing privileges per category https://library.up.ac.za/access_lending/borrowing and fines allocated per book or collection etc.https://library.up.ac.za/access_lending/due.
A4: How do I renew books?
- The renewal of ILL material depends on the restrictions set by the lending library. If you want to renew, you must contact the Access and lending desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least three working days before the material is due. You can also come in person to the library and ask at the Access and Lending desk. Always bring the book along if the renewal cannot be granted. https://library.up.ac.za/access_lending/return
A5: What material can be requested as Inter lending?
- Photocopies of journal articles, conference papers and chapters of books
- Books may be requested by South African libraries(we do not lend books to international libraries)
- UP Masters and Doctoral theses in book format and URL address. The URL of theses will be supplied free of charge to requesting libraries, both national & International
A6: How long does it take to obtain material?
- For books:
National and International:
● Books sent by South African National Library
Courier Services (Gauteng province) take a
maximum of 5 days.
● Books from CSIR and UP branch libraries take a
maximum of 2 days. Books & articles sent by
courier from other libraries outside Gauteng
province take 2-3 weeks.
● Books from overseas libraries take 4-5 weeks. It
does however depend on the availability of the
Document Requests (Inter branch requests of books):
● 1 or 2 days as it is delivered and pick-up via the
library’s Post room service.
● Articles sent electronically are mostly received and
directly sent to the patron’s indicated email
address within 1-2days.
- Once the file has been picked up for the first time, it will remain available on this site for 30 days. After 30 days, the file will be removed. A file can be picked up to a maximum of five (5) times for each URL/password combination. Files that are not picked up will be removed after 30 days
A7: Will I have to pay for documents requested via Interlending?
- National interlibrary loan services are free to all users who qualify for the services. For International requests, charges may apply and departments are responsible for payment of documents received.
- Unless libraries have a reciprocal free of charge agreement, fees as determined by the National Library of South Africa, will be charged for ILL documents.
A8: What happens if I lose an interlibrary loan book?
- Please see Lost, Stolen or Damaged Items
A9: How do I know if the book or article has arrived?
- Articles received electronically will be dispatched electronically via article exchange to user’s e-mail address.
- Clients will also be notified by e-mail if books have arrived.